The Climate Change Library Project 2014 started on December 7th, 2014. It was aimed to crowd fund some donations to purchase climate change and environment related books. These books were then donated to 10 school’s library within Serdang, Selangor.
To win the conversation on climate, we believed in providing the appropriate materials for people to form their debate points. We hope to give all free access to these literature. Climate education is key here.
Big Bad Wolf & Donation
During the project campaign, there was the annual ‘Big Bad Wolf Book Sale 2014’ at The Mines Shopping Centre, Serdang where we purchased most of the books. Prices of the books ranged from RM5 to RM20. We bought a total of 142 books. Since we had our target audience, primary (sekolah rendah) school children, in mind, we selected some general books in hope that we can inspire some amazing young minds out there.
Halfway through the book drive, we received a message from a person who would like to donate some environmental related books to the project. We grabbed the opportunity and collected about 60+ books from this person the very next day.
Crowd-funding in Malaysia
A Malaysian’s based crowd-funding site was used to facilitate the engagement with the donors. All donation and expenses can be tracked transparentlyon the site. To view the site, click here QuickCauses.com. Some of the technical difficulty utilising this site were as follows:
- Donors were unable to transfer money immediate on the platform, Another extra step was required to access from donor’s own internet banking. We will look for a platform with PayPal and/or Credit Card facility.
- Due to the extra step, some donors forgot to transfer the pledged amount. Our volunteers had to remind the donors individually to do that.
- In the end, we had some anonymous pledged donor which we were unable to track, Thus, we were unable to meet our target.
Finding Home for the Books
Getting the permissions to donate books were much harder that we thought previously. Our initial focus was to have these books housed in our government run primary (sekolah rendah) libraries however, all our calls and letters went unanswered. Only the PIBG of SJKC Serdang Baru 1 accepted our project donation. The other locations were from our contacts and contacts of our donors. Here’s the final location of our Climate Change Library Project 2014 books.
- SJKC Serdang Baru 1
- Kurau Community Library
- Balai Masyarakat MPSJ JKP Zon 24
- DUN Kuala Sepetang Service Centre
- Sekolah Rendah in Gua Musang
We received plenty community support, both financial and non-financial support. Without your kind contribution, this project would not have been a success.
- The team from QuickCauses.com
- Amazing people behind ‘Big Bad Wolf Sale 2014’
- YB Ong Kian Ming – Malaysia Member of Parliament – Serdang
- YB Chua Yee Ling- Perak State Representative – Kuala Sepetang
- Mr Loka Ng – MPSJ Councillor
- Ms Kalai – MPSJ JKP Zon 24 – Committee Member
- Mr Ng Sek San – the brain behind Kurau Community Library
- Madam Lisa Fong – PIBG of SJKC Serdang Baru 1
- Mr Abdul Razak, Madam Intan and family – for the hardwork moving the relief work in Kelantan
- all donors
- and you reading this article